Knowledge generation needs a quality repository that extends from the data itself to the program developed to interact with the information. The software quality metrics They make it possible to monitor a product to establish its quality level, even though the follow-up that this type of measure makes it possible to carry out provides the possibility to learn much more about a solution.
Photo credits: istock Agsandrew
Benefits and examples of using software quality metrics
The poor quality of information and software negatively impacts the business at different levels:
- Decrease revenue and increase spending.
- Causes a decrease in confidence, both inside and outside the organization.
A The proactive approach to both information governance and data quality enables early identification of errors or defects that can be corrected in time, eliminating the main drawbacks in the bud. The positive effects begin to show and its benefits increase in a cycle of continuous improvement fostered by the control of software quality metrics.
This monitoring facilitates the evaluation:
- Development team performance.
- The justification for the use of new tools or solutions.
- The results obtained from the incorporation of the software into the processes and operations.
To achieve the level of evaluation it is necessary to have relevant data, accurate and up-to-date in different areas, that provide a global perspective of the response. Therefore, software quality metrics can be applied to different contexts, That:
- The project: are the ones that facilitate risk management, allowing you to take the pulse of the development initiative from the beginning.
- The product: They are focused on measuring the characteristics of the software and all the deliverables that accompany it, as a consequence of the development project, such as models, additional components and documentation.
- The procedure: They are intended identify best practices to export to future projects and, to make it, collect data from different initiatives over a specific period of time.
Despite this, when it comes to focusing on the answer itself, there are some software quality metrics essential, such as those that have to do with the following five criteria:
A / Accuracy metrics: attempt to provide information on the validity and accuracy of the software and its structure, including implementation stage, but also the testing stage and the maintenance function.
B / Performance metrics: Through them, it is feasible to measure software performance, both of each of its modules, as of the whole system.
C / Usability metrics: we must discard the complexity and look for an intuitive and easy-to-use solution. this type of software quality metrics Help determine if the response meets those requirements.
Metricas D / Setting: Limitations, code style and all development related data and product qualities will be evaluated based on these metrics.
E Metrics / Efficiency: minimization of latencies, response speed, capacity, it's an equivalent approach to productivity but with a slightly different nuance, what added to him, provides a much more complete view of the answer.
Therefore, evaluating the software by means of different optics and based on continuous measurements, it is feasible to gain alignment in order to quality that, little by little, it will become more sophisticated and reach higher levels.