Welcome back to our frequent blog of Excel functions from A to Z. Today we look at the COUNTED function.
The COUNTIF function
this function applies one or more criteria to cells in multiple ranges and counts the number of times all criteria are met. This is essentially the version “multiple” of TELL (please link to TELL).
The COUNTED The function uses the following syntax to operate:
COUNTIFS (criteria_range1, criterios1, [criteria_range2, criteria2]…)
The COUNTED The function has the following arguments:
- criteria_range1: this is necessary and represents the first range in which to examine the associated criteria
- criterio1: this is also necessary. The criteria must be in the form of a number, expression, cell reference or text that defines which cells will be counted. As an example, the criteria can be expressed as 32, “> 32”, B4, “apples” O “32”
- rango_criterios2, criteria2, …: these arguments are optional but must appear in associated pairs. They are possible up to 127 range pairs / criterion.
It should be noted at the same time that:
- COUNTED ignore case in text strings. Criteria are not case sensitive, hence “Red” Y “RED” will match the same cells
- The criteria for each range are applied one cell at the same time. Whether all the first cells meet their associated criteria, the count increases by 1. Whether all second cells meet their associated criteria, the count increases by 1 again, and so on until all cells are evaluated.
- whether the criteria argument is a reference to an empty cell, the COUNTED the function treats the empty cell as a zero value
- Wildcard characters are possible. the characters, the question mark (?) And the asterisk can be used incriterion
. The question mark matches any character, while an asterisk matches any sequence of characters. Whether you really want to find a question mark or an asterisk, use la tilde (~) in front of the required character.
Please, see my example below:
Soon we will continue with our functions from A to Z of Excel. Keep checking: there is a new blog post every business day.
Sign up to receive our newsletter